•Investigates monarch on 8-count charge of misappropriation
of emirate council’s funds, anti-Islamic practices, others
Kano State House of Assembly yesterday set up an eight-man
committee to investigate the alleged misconduct of the Emir of Kano, Alhaji
Muhammadu Sanusi 11.
The committee would also investigate allegations of
misappropriation of funds of the Kano Emirate Council.
The assembly set up the committee after a member
representing Nasarawa Local Government Area, Alhaji Ibrahim Gama, raised a
motion of urgent public importance on the topic.
Gama frowned at the recent comments credited to the emir
over the proposed Kano lightrail project and argued: “The statement from the
emir was capable of tarnishing his image, the government’s and that of the
assembly.
“The emir, during his speech in Kaduna, alleged that the
Kano State Governor (Umar Ganduje) and his entourage, including me as the
chairman of the House Committee on Works, wasted one month in China seeking for
loan to construct rail.
“The emir’s statement was not true. We spent only four days
in China, and our visit was to find out the capability of the company to handle
the rail project.”
He took a swipe at Emir Sanusi for sending his daughter to
represent him in one of the functions organised by Bring Back Our Girls group
in Abuja, describing it as inimical to the tradition of the emirate council.
“There are many responsible emirate council members who
could represent him at the programme. This is the first time we are seeing
such, in the historical traditional home,” he added.
He held that the mode of dressing of the emir’s daughter,
during the programme, was an embarrassment to the emirate council and the
tradition of Kano people.
He also accused Sanusi of introducing religious issues
contrary to the teachings of Islam, saying such things were capable of
disgracing the religion.
Gama further accused the emir of involving himself in
political issues, misappropriation of emirate council’s funds and making
statements against President Muhammadu Buhari.
The assembly debated the matter and set up the committee to
investigate the allegations.
The committee, headed by the member representing Warawa
Local Government Area, Alhaji Labaran Abdul, has two weeks within which to
report to the assembly.
Last month, chairman of the Kano State Public Complaints and
Anti-Corruption Commission, Muhiyi Magaji, said its probe of alleged “questionable
expenditures and financial misappropriation” on the Kano Emirate Council had no
political motive.
He said: “The investigation is not in any way politically
motivated but was aimed at getting to the root of the allegations.”
He said the decision by the commission to investigate the
complaints or allegations was borne out of the need to ensure fairness.
“The agency, in carrying out the probe, was fulfilling its
mandate as established by the law,” he added.
“I wonder why people are questioning the reason behind the
investigation and at the same time trying to pre-empt what is being
investigated,” Muhiyi queried.
He insisted that no amount of pressure would deter the
commission from carrying out its duties, not even from the governor.
On April 25, 2017, Sanusi said he was ready for any probe on
his expenditures for the three years he has spent on the throne, saying his
hands were clean.
Sanusi, who spoke through Walin Kano, Alhaji Mahez Wali,
said allegations of questionable expenditure were “baseless, mischievous and
utterly designed to tarnish his image and that of Kano Emirate Council.” He stressed his readiness to answer questions
from relevant agencies to clear his name.
The emir spoke against the backdrop of allegations that he
squandered billions of naira inherited from the late Emir Ado Bayero.
Walin Kano, in a seven-page text made available to newsmen
in Kano, declared that N4.3billion was spent since he ascended the throne,
based on the Kano Emirate Council’s budgetary provision, and not the reported
N6billion.
He explained: “Before the appointment of Muhammadu Sanusi II
as Emir, Kano Emirate Council had over N2.8 billion in fixed deposit accounts,
out of which over N981 million was used for the burial of the late Emir Ado
Bayero.
“About N1.8 billion was the amount of money inherited by
Muhammadu Sanusi II against the alleged N4 billion.”
Giving a breakdown of the emir’s expenditure, the Walin Kano
admitted “payment of N37,054,192.06 to Airtel, as the emir is identified with
only one local mobile phone, which he uses within and outside the country.
“Majority of the charges are that of roaming, which are
normal. Similarly, telephone bills of the palace are offset by the council,
particularly when it comes within the provision of the budget.
“The emirate council received N1,727,938,660.42 as grants
between July 30, 2014 and March 1, 2017, over and above the alleged figure of
N1,672,953, 660.00.”
On the acquisition of two Rolls Royce cars, Walin Kano said:
“The exotic cars were never purchased by the emirate council, but donated to
the emir by his friends.
“The payment of N142,800,000 were expended on two
bulletproof vehicles based on the advice and approval of the state government.”
Post a Comment Blogger Facebook